Monday, 29 December 2014

body image

Today's post is going to be a little different from anything I'll ever post on this blog but it's an issue that been on my mind for a while. So let's get to it. 


Body image is something that can be heavily influenced by the media. We all strive to achieve the media's idea of perfection, whether it's through dieting or wearing excessive amounts of make-up but should we really be letting such an unreliable source dictate to us what we should look like? No we shouldn't. 

For as long as I can remember I've been unhappy with the way I look, my weight, my acne, everything about me, I hated it. But after loathing myself for so long I realised that the reason behind this was the media. The media is constantly slamming celebrities for putting on weight or going out with a bare-face and in comfy clothes, but what I don't understand is what's wrong with these things? They're completely normal for everybody. As I mentioned in my "New Year, New Me" post, this past year has presented me with ups and downs, I spent half of the year trying to improve how I looked because people called me "fat" and other horrible names. Body image should be how you see yourself, don't let the media or society determine the way you feel about yourself. After all our bodies DON'T define us, our personalities do. 

Why should we let the media and society tell us how we should look? Isn't that something that we should decide ourselves? Shouldn't we be trying to be healthy, not trying to live up to society's ideals of "perfection"? Whether the media tells you "you're too fat" or "you're too skinny", don't listen to them. As long as you're healthy and happy, you'll always be perfect in somebody's eyes.

Chloe

No comments:

Post a Comment