Wednesday, 31 December 2014

favourites of 2014


The New Year will start in just over 12 hours, so I thought it was about time I wrote a post featuring my favourites of the year. Best way to end the blogging year right? Basically going to cover all of the things that I loved this year from beauty & hair products to my favourite books and ablum's that I developed a deep love for over the last 365 days. So let's go!


BEAUTY
Benefit They're Real Mascara - Truth be told I got the mini of this mascara in one of Benefit's gift boxes and I wasn't too sure about it at first. I was a sceptic. Initially I thought it made my eyelashes look horrid and fake but the more I used it the more I fell in love and came to the realisation that it made my eyelashes look naturally long instead of the awful clumpy way that a lot of mascara's I've used in the past have. I've yet to purchase a full sized product but I'm definitely planning on it as soon as I can afford to. 

Real Techniques Brushes - Before purchases any of these brushes, I was totally against using brushes that are used to apply anything apart from eyeshadows, blusher, and powder. However after applying foundation with the "expert face brush" I realised that they're quite no other way to apply make-up as flawlessly. In total I think I have around 10 brushes and hoping to add more to the collection! 

Urban Decay Naked 2 Pallette - I've actually been using this a lot more recently than I did when I first bought it, perhaps because I'm at uni and I put a little more effort in than when I was at college? Who knows, anyway I love this pallette. It's perfect for creating both day and night looks and has a lasting finish, especially when combined with Urban Decay's Matte Finish Eyeshadow Primer Potion.

Paco Rabanne Lady Million Perfume - I received this as a gift from my mum and she made such a wonderful decision. It had a fruity-floral scent which I adore and reminds me of spring/summer. I've been wearing it constantly since Christmas! Definitely a perfect present.


HAIR
GHD IV Periwinkle Hair Straighteners - Another gift from my mum. The best one actually, my previous straighteners were destroying my hair and only had one function. But with these beauties, I can straighten, curl and wave. Perfect from creating different hair styles for both day and night.

Percy and Reed Heat Protect Styling Mist - Constantly styling my hair with heat, I needed a new product to protect my hair from damage and after spying this in TK Maxx for £5, I couldn't resist picking it up. I know that Percy and Reed is a highly established branch and having tried their finishing polish, I knew I couldn't miss out on this. It smells wonderful and works wonders on my hair.


Tresemme Superior Flexible Hold Hairspray - I've never really been a fan of hairspray until now, having short unruly hair has definitely drawn me to using the product more in a week than I've used in my whole life. It's become my new best friend whilst trying to tame my mane.


Argan Oil Conditioner - This product may only be £1 but it might just be the most amazing conditioner ever and it's so underrated. I know most of time you're paying for the quality of the product but in all honesty this is so much better for my hair than a lot of the more expensive conditioners are, which often leave my hair matted and tuggy, but no such thing has happened with this. It's definitely a keeper!


CLOTHES/ACCESSORIES
Woollen Jumpers - It's winter, everybody needs woollen jumpers in their winter wardrobe. Grey is usually my colour of choice but for christmas my wonderful Grandparents bought me a mustard sweater which I adore. I don't normally wear bright colours but it's to die for and apparently mustard is my colour!

Tartan Scarfs - Aren't tartan scarves the must have accessory?! A super chic way of reviving an old outfit into a newly composed one. My collection is growing by the day. Something every girl needs in the wardrobe.


Boots - I never normally like wearing boots, I'm more of a converse-type girl, but after picking up some lush camel boots from Topshop with fur edging I can't seem to get enough of them! They're super comfy and go with pretty much every outfit, pretty good fashion pick for only £42!


Butterfly Clips - As I mentioned in my December favourites post, these have been a total lifesaver ever since getting my hair cut short. Best £4 I've ever spent! They turn a floppy irritating fringe into a cute and quirky hairstyle. 


MUSIC
Great Divide / Twin Atlantic - Twin have been my favourite band for over 4 years now so obviously I couldn't wait for the release of their new album, Great Divide, in August. After hearing the first single from the album, Heart ad Soul, I knew it was going to be bigger and better than anything they've ever done and I was right. Featuring songs like "Cell Mate" and "Fall Into the Party" this album was everything I'd hoped it to be and more. They've sort of morphed their sound back into how it was in the days of Vivarium but with a little more pop/rock sound to it as well. Top notch if you ask me.

x / Ed Sheeran - I love Ed Sheeran, his sound is so raw and beautiful and this album is perfect for a day of relaxation or even to listen to whilst studying. My favourite song is definitely "I'm a Mess" it's just so beautifully written and pretty emotional, I'm a sucker for an emotional song! If you haven't listened to this yet then I really recommend that you do because you're missing out!

Four / One Direction - I've loved One Direction from the start, maybe not openly at first but now it's pretty much common knowledge that I'd do anything to see them live or meet them. I'm not even sure what's started this newly found obsession with them however I wont question it. Their new album is definitely different from all the others, to me anyway, there's something about it that puts me in a good mood whenever I hear just one of the songs. "18" and "Night Changes" are definitely two of my favourite songs on the album!


I Forget Where We Were / Ben Howard - Where do we start with Ben Howard? I absolutely adore this man, I always have. His music is incredible, nobody can argue with that. His new album, I Forget Where We Were, is something else. He's kept his folky sound but there's definitely something different in his voice that I love. The whole album is perfect, I can listen to it from start to finish on repeat for hours!


BOOKS
Girl Online / Zoe Sugg (aka Zoella) - I literally just finished reading this book and it's already made my favourites. At first I was a bit uncertain about the whole idea behind the book but once I got into it, I really enjoyed the story. I felt like I really connected with Penny, as I also suffer from anxiety. The book definitely helped me to deal with some of my own issues and I'd like to thank Zoe and her debut novel for that.

You're the One That I Want and Billy & Me by Giovanna Fletcher - Giovanna Fletcher is my favourite author of the year, after finding Billy & Me in the library I fell in love with her style of writing and the characters were written so well in both books. Billy & Me was definitely my favourite, however I do have a soft spot of You're The One That I Want. I'm a sucker for a soppy book and these tick that box for sure.


The Divergent Series / Veronica Roth - This series is quite possibly my favourite series of the year, with the release of the movie the whole hype around this series I just had to pick these books up. And I made no mistake, these books are everything from action-packed to lovey dovey. A weird but wonderful combination - one that was made for these books.


The Maze Runner Series / James Dashner - I haven't had the change to finish reading the series, unfortunately but from what I have read, this is definitely going to be the next Hunger Games. I've fallen in love with the first two books, the plot is captivating and the characters are simple incredible. If you enjoyed THG then these are definitely worth a read. 

This year, over all, has been a pretty good ones. Obviously there's been ups and downs but I've found there's been a lot more positives than negatives. The first thing that I'm totally grateful for this year was passing my exams and finally getting into university. I never dreamt that I've make it this year, especially when I'd only applied to one, but I proved everybody wrong and did it, and now I'm having the time of my life. I also moved to Dundee and into halls. Sharing a flat with 5 amazing girls for the past 4 months has been absolutely incredible and I can't wait to go back to the flat and see them all again after Christmas. With the risk of sounding soppy -  I've been missing them loads since I left on the 17th December. Ever since moving to Dundee, things have been looking up and I couldn't be more happy. I've met some really amazing people and I can't wait to continue meeting more!

Christmas back home was absolutely amazing, I love it when the whole family gets together and celebrates, it's definitely one of my favourite things about my family, we're all so close. As per my family absolutely spoiled me and I'm so grateful for everything I received, as you can see some of my gifts even made my favourites of the year!  And as for New Year, I spent that with my family too, we had a blast! I hope you've all had as much of amazing Christmas and New Year as I have! 

Chloe 

No comments:

Post a Comment