Monday, 5 January 2015

duolingo: learn a language the easy way

As part of my wishes to travel around the world, I thought it fitting to try to learn a new language. Obviously English is my native language and I can speak basic French, but I decided it was time to learn some basic Spanish, especially as it's the second most spoken language in the world.

Having previously used the Duolingo app to brush up on my French, I figured it was my best option for learning Spanish - it's simple to use, it's free and it really does help. The way it works is that there are about 3 categories and you start with the absolute basics and work your way through the other categories, some of these include: phrases, food, animals, clothing, questions and objects. But it also covers the more important things like adjectives, plurals, adverbs and participles. Every category features 3 or 4 lessons in which you learn new words, phrases etc. After completing all lessons, if you haven't already, you're given the chance to perfect the words you've learned and "master the skill". I found this to be very helpful as it really drills the vocabulary into your head, something I had trouble with whilst learning French at school.

 Another perk of this app is that every so often, after completing about 7 categories, you're given the opportunity to test yourself on everything you've learnt so far, thus letting you know if you're improving. Obviously, as I've just started using the app, I can't tell if it's going to help me to become fluent in Spanish, but I know at the very least I'll be able to have conversations with locals, order food and make sense of the language itself.

Have any of you tried out this app? How did you find it?

Chloe 

No comments:

Post a Comment