Saturday, 3 January 2015

girl online / zoe sugg



This is just going to be a brief look at Girl Online. I've scheduled this post as I'm writing it at 12:30am because I just couldn't wait until the morning. I also don't want to spoil it for people who're dying to read it! Like the majority of bloggers, I've been a follower of Zoe's (Zoella) blog and Youtube Channel for a good few years now and also as a lover of books also I found it to be fate the her debut book was available for a steal price of £1.95 on the Kindle Book Store whilst I was browsing for a new book to read.

 After all the speculation about Zoe not writing the book solely herself, but with help from a ghost writer, I got a little annoyed - as I'm pretty sure Zoe made it clear from the start that she was having help from the publishers to write it. I can't imagine how stressful her life must be already between running her blog and Youtube accounts along with attending meetings and going to Youtube related events/conventions, never mind throwing a debut novel into the mix. However I did understand where these "haters" were coming from, after all none of us really know how much of the book was written by Zoe, herself. Of course there are some parts of the book that were so obviously written by her, you can tell by the style of writing and can feel her personality shining through! Nonetheless, I didn't particularly care about who wrote the book, I just wanted to know how it'd turned out, what the writing style was and more importantly what happened! 

After reading the first few chapters I didn't think I was going to enjoy it at all, it started off really slow and I guess I thought it was a bit boring. I honestly thought it was going to be a book about a girl who started a blog to avoid facing the problems in the real world, how na├»ve of me - especially since that was initially the reason I started blogging, to find somewhere to express myself away from the outside world. I truly started enjoying it at about chapter 12, when Penny and her best friend Elliot, along with Penny's parents, embarked upon their journey to New York City for a work engagement. I think the setting of these chapters really increased my hopes for the book - ever since I started watching Gossip Girl, I've been obsessed with the city. Another perk of the city was that Penny was introduced to a cute boy, obviously I couldn't stop reading there, it sounded like a budding romance and I have a major soft spot for romances in books, they make me swoon. The introduction of Noah made me want to read more and find out what happened between him and Penny, something that I'm not willing to tell you, you'll need to read it to find out - all I can say is that there's a major twist and I was super shocked! 

 I'm not going to lie, the storyline was totally cringeworthy but I loved it. I may even have cried a little at the ending, which I really didn't expect. It's not my favourite book ever written, but it's not bad for a debut. I'd definitely recommend that you read this if you've read and loved Rainbow Rowell's "Fangirl"!

Chloe

No comments:

Post a Comment