Friday, 11 December 2015

baked festive favourites


I have a confession to make, much like Zeke from High School Musical, I love to bake! Not as fancy dishes as Zeke, but biscuits and cakes. And when it comes to Christmas time my favourite thing to bake is gingerbread biscuits. Okay, so I usually prefer to make these men and women, but I forgot to bring my cookie cutters when I moved out so had to make do with circles. The recipe I use for these delicious baked goods is a modified version of one I found online forever ago. I've kept it written in a notebook for so long. You can find it below should you want to recreate these amazing treats.

Ingredients

  • 350g plain flour (you can use a little extra to roll them out or just use grease-proof paper like I did) 
  • 1 tsp bicarb 
  • 2 tsp ground ginger
  • 1 tsp group cinnamon 
  • 1 tsp nutmeg (optional, but super tasty)
  • a pinch of allspice (also optional, but great if you like Christmassy spices) 
  • 125g butter/margarine 
  • 175g light brown sugar (don't forget to put this in like I almost did!)
  • 1 egg
  • 4tbsp golden syrup 
Prep
  1. Sift together all your dry ingredients (excluding sugar) in a large mixing bowl. 
  2. Add the butter and blend together using your hands until the mix looks similar to breadcrumbs. You can use a food processor for this step, but as I don't have one I just use my fingers. 
  3. Now stir in the sugar.
  4. In a separate dish, combine the egg and golden syrup together before adding it to the mixing bowl. Mix in with a wooden spoon until it begins clumps together. 
  5. This is the part where I usually stick my hands in to speed up the process. 
  6. Following this knead the dough until smooth and wrap in cling film (if you don't have cling film grease-proof paper works just as well) and leave in the fridge for at least 15 minutes. You can leave it longer if you wish. 
  7. Roll out the dough to about 0.5cm thickness either on a flat surface with flour or grease-proof paper. Use your cutter of choice and place them on the tray leaving slight gaps between each. 
  8. Preheat oven to 180C/Gas 4 and line your tray with grease-proof paper. 
  9. Bake for 12-15 minutes. I usually set a timer for 12 and leave them in longer if needed. 
  10. Finally, let the treats cool down and then decorate. 

I'm not very artistic and failed to pick up icing on my trip to Asda so mine are bare and boring but taste just as good. I swear! I hope you all enjoy making these delicious treats! 

P.s. They go great with a mug of chai tea latte or your favourite coffee based drinks!



  • Chloe 

No comments:

Post a Comment